VPS FOR MAKERS
An introductory book to server deployment for makers on the web
Are you a maker, web developer, aspiring sysadmin or just a curious human being?
- Look under the cover to find out what it takes to deploy a web application to a production server.
- Learn how to build and maintain your first Virtual Private Server (VPS) to run your
side-projects and ideas!
VPS for Makers is a book about setting up your own virtual server for the purposes of running a web application. It teaches you the basic theory of system administration and goes through many practical tasks that all result in a deployed Ruby on Rails application backed by PostgreSQL database on a Fedora operating system.
The book is intended for beginners and false beginners in system administration.
I am designing it to be a good first exposure and deliberately focusing on fundamentals. It should help you understand if server maintenance is something you might enjoy or something you leave to others.
Things you will learn
- Creating your first server online.
- Connecting to the server remotely and securely with SSH.
- Installing packaged and non packaged software such as language runtimes, databases and utilities.
- Keeping your system and software up-to-date and patched.
- Managing users and defining their permissions.
- Running and monitoring processes including process managers.
- Managing services with systemd and even writing your own.
- Nginx web server basics. Serving static website.
- Using Nginx as a proxy and for serving static assets.
- Running application servers such as Puma behind Nginx using UNIX sockets.
- Running example Ruby on Rails application, managing environment variables.
- Managing user uploaded data on the filesystem.
- Configuring PostgreSQL database and dealing with backups.
- Creating SWAP partitions.
- Running with SELinux enabled and building your own SELinux module.
- Setting up a git-push deploy for smooth deployment.
- Moving your project to a custom domain name.
- Setting up SSL certificates to take advantage of HTTPS.
Exact chapters will be announced later.